Saturday, April 30, 2011

New York, New York

Ah. It's a beautiful evening outside. Occasional bursts of gushing wind, but the wind isn't too cold and the temperature is lovely. An entire building full of friends and luggage, awaiting the tour of a life time. What could be wrong with this picture?? Nothing...except the fact that it's 3:46 a.m. currently... Most of us choir folk haven't slept in the last 24 hours and are all anxiously awaiting 4 a.m. when we can trudge onto the bus and sleep to our heart's content. Our bodies filled with a range of emotions from move-out stress and grade anxiety to freedom and relief that it's over. And then I stop to think. It's over. Another year past, another milestone achieved. I just finished my freshman year in college. Wow. Where on earth did my childhood go?!? New and dear friends all separating and going home. Home to various states and situations, the only connection to our college world maybe being a few texts, some Facebook messages, maybe the muses of the sleep deprived on a random blog...but for those few lucky ones where their home town is thriving with college students, they bask in the boredom of a summer with good friends. I've said goodbye to SOOOOO many of my good friends in just 3 days, it feels like I'm never going to see any of them ever again...but it's just for a summer :)

This year has produced such a growth in me, such as I have never felt before. Both spiritually and physically. After spending a year where my parents weren't here all the time, it really made me realize how much I depend on them. When they weren't here or I wasn't able to get ahold of them, it made me realize how much I really do depend on God. For instance: As a little kid, we'd often take road trips. Wichita, Lawrence, sometimes just to the little suburb of Auburn. Most of the time, I was quietly snoozing in the backseat until that unpleasant moment where your parents open the car door to wake you up and an instant rush of cold air fills the car. Tonight, however, I drove by myself to an unfamiliar location, often driving in the middle of nowhere, simply going by my friends' directions. I felt old. I had made my own decision to go where I wanted when I wanted. I was still reminded of my dependence on God a few times though. It's amazing all the little things God can do to wake you up.

Anyway....this blog would probably tumble into a blabberous and confusing tumult if I typed anymore...Plus, it's 3 minutes till we leave! :) Gotta catch my bus, which seat can I take??? ;)

1 comment:

  1. 3 minutes... an hour and 3 minutes... what's the difference, really? :p

    ReplyDelete